Time to explore. Time to discuss. Time to connect.
We offer time and space for an open exchange of ideas. The participants of the summer school, organized by the Hans Farmont Foundation, are invited to spend time with young people from Europe on a ten-day sailing trip in Greece and Turkey. On the foundation’s sail boat, the fellows receive the opportunity to discuss current European topics, to create a network and to put companionship within limited space to the test. The foundation covers all costs related to the programme such as food, accommodation as well as transportation.
Together with our crew, the fifteen participants in total gather sailing experience and explore the Greek islands around Rhodes and the Turkish coast. Within the framework of assisted panels, the fellows are given the opportunity to exchange thoughts and ideas. What does it mean to rely on each other, to set sail together and to carry responsibility for Europe?
Concerning the completion of Brexit, the discussion about refocusing the EU naval mission „Sophia“ and the ongoing negotiations at and about the European borders, the main topic of discourse for 2020 will be, in the words of Kate Tempest, „Europe is lost“.
Applications are open to persons between 18 and 25 years, who are in training (academic or operational) as well as young professionals whose main place of residence is in Europe. By Europe we understand all current and potential member states of the European Union. Required is civic engagement for example in form of volunteer work, thorough knowledge of the English language, and the willingness to sail with a team.
In 2020, the foundation is offering three sailing trips with five participants each. These will take place from June to August. The exact dates can be found in the application form, where applicants can indicate the trip of their choice.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 16TH OF MARCH 2020
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS:
- CV (chronological, in bullet points, english or german), please make sure to list civic engagement.
- Completed application form (download on summerschool.farmont-stiftung.de)
- Answer the question: “What does it mean to you to feel European?“ (form, medium and length are not restricted).
- A suggestion for a keynote speech on the topic “Europe is lost“. (These will be part of the accompanying programme and will be used as introductions for the panel discussions. The speeches should not be longer than 15 minutes and should serve as impulsion for a debate. Please explain with max. 500 words the topic you would like to discuss.
- send all documents to firstname.lastname@example.org until the 16th of March.